Sunday, December 11, 2011

Holiday Baking: Campfire Cookies

Yesterday, I went to a cookie exchange that is a tradition among some of the members of my graduate program. One woman, Sheri, is kind enough to host all of us in her lovely home each year. So we all bake up a storm and come with our Ziploc bags in tow, ready to take some deliciousness home with us. I first attended last year and brought two of my favorite cookies. This year, I wanted to bake up something a little different.

The first cookie I want to share with you is a Campfire Cookie. I found the recipe on Pinterest and decided to give it a try because it looked amazing and the concept really intrigued me. Are you ready for this? A chocolate chip and marshmallow cookie, baked on top of a graham cracker. If you like s'mores, it does not get better than that. The original recipe comes from a blog called Fahreinheit 350 and can be found at this link.

Campfire Cookies
Yields about 3 Dozen Cookies


You Will Need:
  • 1c light brown sugar
  • 2 sticks of butter
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 c flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 c chocolate chips (or chop up a large Hershey bar)
  • 1 c mini marshmallows (add more if desired)
  • Graham crackers (you will need one half for each cookie you plan to make)
How It's Done: 
I took photos for most of the critical points in this process, so you can see how it works. Preheat your oven to 350. Start by creaming the butter and sugar together until well-blended. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix again. Add your flour and baking soda, and again mix to combine. Finally, add the chocolate chips and marshmallows and mix well. You'll have a batter that looks like this: 


And it tastes awesome, so I won't blame you if you sneak some. Now, here comes the fun part. Get your cookie sheet and your graham crackers out. Break them in half. Spray your cookie sheet with cooking spray. Lay out some of the graham crackers on your tray. Keep in mind that these cookies will spread out onto and over the graham cracker, which means you need to leave room in between them and stagger them pretty well. 

Using a spoon, place a ball of dough into the center of your graham cracker, like so:

There is no exact science for how much you should use on your graham cracker. Personally, I like to use a good amount like you see in the photo because I want the cookie to spread over the cracker so I can have the full graham cracker + cookie experience in one bite. But if you're looking to make extra cookies and are willing to skimp a little on the cookie part, go for it. The only thing I would not recommend is putting so much on it that it covers the graham cracker. Sometimes less is more. When you're done, you'll have a tray like this: 


I'm sorry about the state of my baking sheets. They've seen better days. Carefully place your tray into the oven. I'm going to warn you: if you are anything like me, these cookies will slide out of place when you put them in the oven. And then you'll be bent over a hot oven, arranging them again with your hands, trying not to burn yourself on something. But if you're nothing like me, you have no worries. I don't think there is much of a way to prevent this from happening. If you find one (other than a silicone baking sheet, because I don't like those), let me know. 

Bake for about nine minutes. You want to check on these as the end of the cooking time draws closer, because you don't want to burn the bottom or burn the marshamallow. Pull them out when they are golden brown, which is usually around the 8-9 minute mark. 

Now, I have to be honest with you about something. It's this: 


See that edge of caramelized sugar on the end of the cookie? That will be on your baking pans at some point. There isn't any way of preventing it. The marshmallows will turn to hard sugar on your baking pan. So here's what you do: Allow the cookies to cool for about 4-5 minutes. Then, using a spatula, carefully take the cookies off. You may have pieces of the cookie break off because they are still warm, but I didn't have too many casualties. Plus, if some cookie comes off in the process, it's YOURS and you get to eat it! Then you can use those biceps and clean off your cookie sheet...or just soak it for a while. 

There you have it, Campfire Cookies! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Tomorrow I'll be back with another cookie recipe, so stay tuned! 








2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...